HEGIS Code: 5011
SUNY Code: 2053
Major Code: EPC
The tourism industry in the Niagara Region continues to grow, and the demand for event planning professionals is increasing. This program is a collaborative effort between the business and hospitality curricula. Graduates may opt for self-employment or may obtain positions in many different settings including: hotels, country clubs, casinos, restaurants, cruise ships, airports and resorts. The hospitality industry has a strong demand for event planners, including design, decorative elements, nonprofit and charity events, arrangement of festivals, fairs, parades and weddings. Those interested in event planning must have strong management skills to succeed in this labor-intensive, service-driven business.
The NCCC Approach
The Event Planning certificate is a one-year academic program that includes four courses specific to operations in this field. The coursework will provide students with an overview of the industry as well as specific skills designed to meet the needs of employers. This will provide them with a full complement of the skills needed in the business of event planning.
This program is designed to meet the needs of the student in taking the first steps toward a career in the event planning industry as well as those currently employed in the field who are seeking academic credentials to further enhance their career opportunities. The class sizes are small and personal attention to each student’s academic needs is addressed.
Students admitted in September and January.
Program Goals and Objectives
- To provide students with the basic knowledge of event planning that will prepare them for employment in the hospitality industry.
Student Learning Outcomes
At the completion of this program, students will:
- Compare and contrast standard types of meetings, facilities, locations and auxiliary services integral to event planning.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the basic principles of event design
- Utilize marketing techniques in event planning
- Apply management skills in event planning
- Develop the management accounting skills necessary for event planning
- Analyze current trends in event operations and management