HEGIS Code: 5012
SUNY Code: 1514
Major Code: DM
The World Wide Web is ubiquitous–today, there isn’t a business or organization that doesn’t have a web presence of some sort. Behind this web presence are the designers and developers, whose job is to produce a creative visual design, effective interactivity and user-friendly and accessible content.
The NCCC Digital Media: Web Production certificate program provides the skills for entry-level positions in web design. This career requires a combination of creativity and technical skills to produce fully-functional websites.
The NCCC Approach
The certificate program is an intensive 31-credit hour program that concentrates on the acquisition of skills used in the creation of websites. This program is ideal for someone who has already earned a degree or is working in a related field and would like to update his or her skills.
Students admitted in September and January.
Program Mission Statement
The Digital Media program strives to provide students with the skills and knowledge to be successful in an ever-changing technology-based industry by emphasizing adherence to industry standards, encouraging creativity and developing students’ capacity for life-long learning.
Program Goals and Objectives
- To prepare students for entry-level positions in digital media-related fields
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the certificate program in Digital Media, a graduate will be able to:
- Identify digital media technologies and their use in the creation of digital media content
- Demonstrate the application of design principles in the development of digital media content
- Create, edit and manipulate audio, video, and graphic images
- Create a digital portfolio of his/her work
- Design and develop a website using current standards for coding
- Demonstrate the application of design principles and techniques for the development of social media content
Digital Media students have access to two state-of-the-art digital media computer classrooms. In addition students have access to a fully digital, high-definition TV studio with green screen capabilities and digital audio recording and video production/editing facilities.
The following software programs are used in the Digital Media program:
- Adobe Creative Suite including Photoshop, Illustrator, Fireworks, Flash and Dreamweaver
- Apple Final Cut Pro, Motion, and Compressor
- Apple iLife Suite including iMovie, GarageBand and iPhoto
- Avid Pro Tools
- Microsoft Word and PowerPoint
- Web 2.0 tools such as WordPress, Wix, Animoto, Jing, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, Facebook, blogs and wikis