Degree/Certificate: Associate in Applied Science
HEGIS Code: 5004
SUNY Code: 0634
Major Code: BRBM
NCCC’s Retail Business Management curriculum is designed for students who want a career-oriented program which allows them to assume entry-level management positions upon graduation.
The New York State Department of Labor and a variety of local retailers have indicated that there are a significant number of career opportunities in retailing. The number of entry-level managerial positions is growing as are the salary and benefits offered by these businesses.
The program was developed from the advice provided by local retailers. These retailers identified the knowledge, skills and abilities a graduate should possess in order to qualify for positions with their firms.
Graduates have found employment in positions ranging from sales to assistant manager. Some students transfer to four-year colleges and work toward the completion of the requirements for a bachelor’s degree.
Students admitted in fall, spring and summer.
Because of the sequencing of courses, it may take more than four semesters of full-time study if a student begins this program in a spring semester.
SUNY College at Fredonia
SUNY College/Empire State
Program Goals and Objectives
- Provide students with an opportunity to explore a variety of careers in retailing
- Prepare students with the necessary qualifications for entry-level supervisory positions in retailing
- Provide students with a well-rounded education by requiring courses in a variety of disciplines
Student Learning Outcomes
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Analyze the impact of major social, economic, historic and technological trends on retail establishments
- Demonstrate an understanding of basic retail terms or concepts: trade area, target markets, shrinkage, just-in-time inventory and human resource management
- Apply basics of trading area
- Read and analyze a general business publication i.e. Business Week, Wall Street Journal or Forbes
- Evaluate the role of government legislation relative to retailing