Degree/Certificate: Associate in Science
HEGIS Code: 5506
SUNY Code: 2008
Major Code: REC
Recreation Studies is one of the fastest growing professions that offers opportunities for employment in commercial, public sector, not-for-profit and even military career options. Recreation Studies degrees offer attractive employment opportunities in many diverse fields. Students of Recreation Studies will learn to research and analyze existing programs and services in an effort to enhance them. They will acquire skills to motivate participants of fitness, recreational and leisure activities. Our students receive a well-rounded liberal arts education combined with an extensive internship experience that develops professional competencies for entering a thriving job market. Students with this degree are immediately employable in the recreation industry and the program has positioned our graduates with local, regional and national organizations.
The NCCC Approach
The program has a balanced approach of classroom and in-the-field experience, creating a dynamic experiential learning environment. Our program also offers top notch internship opportunities with some of the biggest and best organizations in New York State. Recreation Studies’ students can also receive a certification as a Certified Personal Trainer through the National Council on Strength and Fitness. Our students receive a well-rounded educational experience with additional elective courses that allow our students the flexibility to design and explore opportunities specific to individual educational and professional goals.
Students admitted in fall, spring and summer. Due to the sequencing of courses, it may take more than four semesters of full-time study (15-17 credits per semester) if a student begins this program in a spring or summer semester.
Paul Smith College
SUNY College at Brockport
SUNY College at Cortland
The Recreation Studies program is housed in the Athletics Building. A two-and-half year renovation of these facilities includes a 2,500 square foot fitness center, Olympic-size pool, two gymnasiums, dance studios, racquetball and squash courts. The NCCC Athletics & Intramural/Recreation Department is comprised of 11 athletic teams and numerous intramural and recreation programs and events. The NCCC Health Education Center offers health improvement opportunities for adolescents and adults in the community. Our technology, aimed at the professional development of our students, is exemplary. Smart technology classrooms, 30 wireless laptops for individual work stations and cutting edge health and wellness assessment tools have proven to enhance learning and comprehensively prepare students for transfer to upper-level institutions.
Program Goals and Objectives
- To assist students with the successful transfer to related bachelors degree program
- To provide an understanding of the various career tracks and professional requirements for a variety of jobs in the field
- To develop students’ knowledge about the sociological, philosophical, physiological, historical and psychological aspects of recreation studies
- To assist students in meeting ten of ten General Education requirements
- To provide an understanding of the operation of computer systems and related pedagogical recreation issues
- To develop students’ understanding and acquisition of knowledge, skills, and characteristics which define responsible and successful leaders in the field of recreation
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion, the student will:
- Develop a philosophy about the field of recreation studies
- Customize his/her professional education course work to facilitate transfer-articulation to a baccalaureate school of choice
- Broaden his/her general education background through course work in humanities, social sciences, mathematics, fine arts and life sciences
- Acquire the necessary skills and knowledge in recreation studies courses to transfer to a bachelor’s degree program in recreation studies or related field
- Demonstrate an understanding of computers and their basic functioning
- Communicate effectively with others