HEGIS Code: 5010
SUNY Code: 1806
Major Code: HOSO
The hospitality industry is one of the top economic drivers in every state in this country and over a $3 trillion industry worldwide. Employment in this field is projected to continue a steep growth pattern through at least 2020, with educational credentials becoming ever more important for career advancement. The Hospitality Operations certificate program gives students an opportunity to focus on coursework that is specific to this industry. The subjects covered will provide the student with the knowledge and practical experience to meet the entry-level management needs of employers in various aspects of hospitality operations.
Students who are interested in a future in this industry but do not have the need for a degree will find that this program may suit their needs. Also, this program can be especially useful to existing employees in hospitality businesses who are looking to obtain academic credits to enhance their promotion opportunities. Entrepreneurial students who have a business concept designed for the leisure-time market may also find this program valuable.
The NCCC Approach
The Hospitality Operations certificate is a 29-credit hour program offering academic courses that are fully transferable to the AAS Hospitality Management degree. Students are required to find employment in the industry to complete 200 hours of work experience to complete the certificate requirements (prior employment experience may be applicable). Upon completion of this program, the student will have developed a comprehensive knowledge of the challenges that exist in this labor intensive and demanding field.
Students admitted in fall, spring and summer.
Program Goals and Objectives
- To provide students with the fundamental knowledge of the hospitality industry operations and the required management skills necessary to be successfully employed in entry-level management positions
- To enhance the students’ understanding of the opportunities and challenges present in the hospitality industry
- To assist the student in developing the high-level personal and professional performance standards required by the hospitality industry
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the Certificate Program in Hospitality Operations, the student will:
- Understand the structure and operational challenges of various aspects of the hospitality industry
- Discern and be able to apply high quality standards as they apply to guest service and employee support and motivation
- Recognize quality standards as they apply to lodging and food service businesses
- Demonstrate supervisory-level management skills appropriate to the industry needs
- Demonstrate knowledge of the industry’s requirements for professional conduct and appearance consistent with the desired level of career expectations