Sep 25, 2020
Degree/Certificate: Associate in Applied Science
HEGIS Code: 5699
SUNY Code: 0688
Major Code: INDS
Opportunities in many specialized occupations are enhanced by the completion of an associate degree.
The NCCC Approach
The Individual Studies degree requirements allow students to design a degree that matches their educational and/or career goals.
Students admitted in fall, spring and summer.
The Individual Studies program can be completed on a full-time, part-time, or evening basis, with many online course opportunities.
Program Goals and Objectives
- To allow students the opportunity to explore personal, academic and/or occupational interests through liberal arts and free electives
- To provide a foundation of mathematics and basic communication skills in writing and speech
Program Learning Outcomes
At the completion of this program, the student will:
- Demonstrate proficiency in mathematics
- Demonstrate proficiency in written and oral communication
- Discuss factual and conceptual knowledge in each of the applied fields
- Demonstrate the interrelationship and coherence of applied fields by integrating such knowledge from each of them
Program Requirements (INDS)
- A total of at least 62-credit hours with a minimum curriculum grade-point average of 2.0. Academic Foundations courses do not count toward the degree.
- Health/Physical Education: A minimum of 2-credit hours
- A minimum of 30-credit hours of applied electives chosen in consultation with academic advisor to address career and educational goals
- Basic Communication: A minimum of 9-credit hours to include:
ENG 101 - Writing I *
ENG 102 - Writing II & Introduction to Literature OR ENG 103 - Writing for STEM
SPE 101 - Speech Communication OR alternative SUNY GER for Basic Communication-Oral
- General Education Electives : A minimum of 9-credit hours to be selected from three categories:
American History (AH) - General Education
Arts (AR) - General Education
Foreign Language (FL) - General Education
Humanities (H) - General Education
Natural Science (NS) - General Education
Other World Civilization (OW) - General Education
Social Science (SS) - General Education
Western Civilization (WC) - General Education
- Mathematics Elective: A minimum of 3-credit hours to include:
Mathematics (M)* - General Education
- Liberal Arts: A minimum of 9-credit hours to include:
Liberal Arts electives
*Dependent upon the fulfillment of Academic Foundations requirements.
There are several scholarships available to NCCC students. Scholarship deadline dates vary each semester. For more information, please visit the scholarship webpage at www.niagaracc.suny.edu/scholarships. The NCCC Scholarship Office is located within the Financial Aid Complex, A-114 or by phone (716) 614-6205.