Mar 05, 2024
The Audio Recording and Production certificate program is designed to prepare students for careers in audio recording and production.This program will prepare students to take the DigiDesign Pro Tools certification exams at the beginning and intermediate levels culminating in the ability to qualify as a DigiDesign Pro Tools Operator. Pro Tools is the industry standard for digital audio recording for music and audio post production.The DigiDesign Pro Tools certification shows that a student is a leader with the ability to successfully implement and operate Pro Tools within any professional environment.
The NCCC Approach
The certificate program requires 31 credit hours of course work. Students will receive broad-based training in music recording and mixing, location sound, commercial production, audio for video and television, record production and live sound reinforcement.
The Audio Recording and Production certificate program will be attractive to both recent high school graduates as well as community members already working in related fields. This certificate program can be a student’s first step toward a career in the recording industry, or can serve as a means for working professionals to gain recognized credentials in sound recording. Skills in audio recording and production can lead to employment in music recording and sound design in:
- sound recording firms
- concert production companies
- theatre companies
- film and video production and post-production houses
- multimedia production companies
- recording studios
- theme parks
Students are admitted in September and January. Some courses may be available during the two summer sessions.
Program Goals and Objectives
- To prepare students with the necessary skills for entry-level positions in audio recording or production.
- To provide students with a thorough understanding of digital recording software programs and their application in audio recording and production.
- To facilitate the student’s creative application of digital recording techniques in audio recording and production.
- To provide practical hands-on experience in the use of digital recording software for creating audio recordings.
Student Learning Outcomes
The student will:
- Create a block diagram of a typical sound system to demonstrate an understanding of signal flow.
- Demonstrate the use of audio recording and production equipment
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of the principles of digital audio recording
- Use digital recording software to record, mix, edit, master and process audio.
- Integrate digital recording and midi sequencing into one audio production
- Plan and execute a complete recording session including the final mixdown.
- Use critical listening skills to make appropriate audio production decisions.
- Demonstrate understanding of the principles and application of electronic music in audio recording and production.
Minimum Degree Requirements (ARPC)
- A total of at least 31 credit hours with a minimum curriculum gradepoint average of 2.0. Academic Foundations courses do not count the certificate.
- Audio Recording and Production: A minimum of 10 credit hours to include:
- Music: A minimum of 12 credit hours to include:
- Computer Technology: A minimum of 3 credit hours to include:
- Arts & Media Elective: A minimum of 3 credit hours.
- Free Elective: A minimum of 3 credit hours.
All matriculated students in this curriculum are eligible for scholarships. See scholarship area of this catalog or contact the NCCC Scholarship Office located in the Administration complex, Room A-114, (716) 614-6205, for specific information and criteria.