Associate in Applied Science
The Gaming and Casino Management program provides students with the opportunity to develop knowledge and an experiential base that will equip them to enter one of the area’s fastest growing industries. The gaming industry has grown tremendously nationwide since the passing of the Indian Gaming Regulatory Act (IGRA) in 1998. This has created increasing demand for well-rounded industry professionals who understand the gaming environment as well as how it relates to the support functions of the operation which include marketing and sales, accounting, security and human resource management. Those interested in positions in casino operations must have strong management skills to succeed in this labor intensive, service-driven business where regulatory requirements are strict and human interaction is continuous. The educational offerings in this curriculum survey the gaming industry and are also sufficiently applied to support supervisory and entry-level management employment in many operational areas of the casino and gaming industry.
The NCCC Approach
The Gaming and Casino Management degree is a two-year academic program that includes six courses specific to operations in this field. The coursework will provide students with an overview of the industry as well as specific skills designed to meet the needs of employers. Each student will be required to find employment in the industry and complete 400 hours of work experience prior to graduation. Students in this curriculum will also take coursework that focuses on general business topics such as accounting, marketing and human resource management. This will provide them with a full complement of the skills needed in the business of casino management.
This program is designed to meet the needs of the student in taking the first steps toward a career in the gaming industry as well as those currently employed in the field who are seeking academic credentials to further enhance their career opportunities. The class sizes are small and personal attention to each student’s academic needs are addressed.
Students admitted in September and January.
Program Goals and Objectives
- To provide students with a knowledge of casino management, operations, regulatory requirements and principles of the gaming industry.
- To prepare students with the experience that will make them a valuable employment asset to the gaming profession.
- To assist students in developing the knowledge and skills necessary to investigate and select appropriate career choices.
- To provide qualified gaming professionals for one of the area’s fastest growing industries.
Student Learning Outcomes
At the completion of this program, students will:
- Apply the basic principles of casino management.
- Describe the contributions of the various departments in the casino toward the creation of a successful gaming business.
- Apply the internal and external service skills related to the casino industry.
- Apply customer service skills related to guest service, employee support and motivation.
- Apply management, operations, and regulatory compliance issues surrounding the industry.
- Demonstrate proficiency in written and oral communication skills for business applications.