Degree/Certificate: Associate in Science
HEGIS Code: 5506
SUNY Code: 2008
Major Code: REC
Recreation Studies is one of the fastest growing professions that offers opportunities for employment in commercial, public sector, not-for-profit and even military career options. Recreation studies degrees are increasing in popularity as employment opportunities expand in many diverse fields. Students of recreation studies will learn to research and analyze existing programs and services in an effort to enhance them. They will acquire skills to motivate participants of fitness, recreational and leisure activities. Our students not only receive a well-rounded liberal arts education, they also develop the professional competencies for entering a thriving job market. Upon transfer, students will be afforded the opportunity to focus on one of the many facets of the recreation industry.
The NCCC Approach
In addition to earning an associate degree, graduates of the Recreation Studies program are positioned to transfer to an upper-level program in general recreation, therapeutic recreation, outdoor recreation, travel and tourism. The program also offers the opportunity for recreation majors to receive certification as a personal trainer through the National Council on Strength and Fitness. Additional business courses are included that will allow the student to develop supportive knowledge, skills and abilities that are necessary for success in this career. Through the advisement process, faculty will work individually with students to assist in course selection based on transfer interest.
Students admitted in fall, spring and summer. Due to the sequencing of courses, it may take more than four semesters of full-time study (15-17 credits per semester) if a student begins this program in a spring or summer semester.
SUNY College at Brockport
SUNY College at Cortland
The Recreation Studies program is housed in the Athletics Building. A two-and-half year renovation of these facilities includes a 2,500 square foot fitness center, Olympic-size pool, two gymnasiums, dance studios, racquetball and squash courts. The NCCC Athletics & Intramural/Recreation Department is comprised of 11 athletic teams and numerous intramural and recreation programs and events. The NCCC Health Education Center offers health improvement opportunities for adolescents and adults in the community. Our technology, aimed at the professional development of our students, is exemplary. Smart technology classrooms, 30 wireless laptops for individual work stations and cutting edge health and wellness assessment tools have proven to enhance learning and comprehensively prepare students for transfer to upper-level institutions.
Program Goals and Objectives
- To assist students with the successful transfer to related bachelors degree program
- To provide an understanding of the various career tracks and professional requirements for a variety of jobs in the field
- To develop students’ knowledge about the sociological, philosophical, physiological, historical and psychological aspects of recreation studies
- To assist students in meeting ten of ten General Education requirements
- To provide an understanding of the operation of computer systems and related pedagogical recreation issues
- To develop students’ understanding and acquisition of knowledge, skills, and characteristics which define responsible and successful leaders in the field of recreation
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion, the student will:
- Develop a philosophy about the field of recreation studies
- Customize his/her professional education course work to facilitate transfer-articulation to a baccalaureate school of choice
- Broaden his/her general education background through course work in humanities, social sciences, mathematics, fine arts and life sciences
- Acquire the necessary skills and knowledge in recreation studies courses to transfer to a bachelor’s degree program in recreation studies or related field
- Demonstrate an understanding of computers and their basic functioning
- Communicate effectively with others