Associate in Science
This two-year program is designed to give students the knowledge, skills and experiences that will prepare them for transfer to a baccalaureate program for fields such as teacher preparation, athletic training, coaching and exercise science. In addition, through the context of the Health and Physical Education Division, we offer a three-credit hour Personal Trainer course with the possibility of certification through the National Council on Strength and Fitness (NCSF).
The NCCC Approach
Performance course work includes classes in aquatics, dance, goal sports, net and wall sports, outdoor activities, personal performance activities, target sports, striking and fielding sports. Knowledge and skill acquisition stressing theory and practice to develop competencies and proficiencies will be stressed. The life science component of either anatomy and physiology or human biology prepares students for baccalaureate-level required sciences. In addition, students will complete requirements in the humanities, arts & media, social sciences, mathematics and computer technology, providing a general education component to prepare them for life experiences in a changing society. Through the advisement process faculty will work individually with students to assist in course selection based upon transfer interest.
Students admitted in September and January.
Because of the sequencing of courses, it may take more than four semesters of full-time study if a student begins this program in a spring semester.
Dual Admissions & Articulation Agreements
Canisius College (Dual admissions)
Sage College of Albany (Articulation only)
SUNY College at Brockport (Articulation only)
SUNY College at Cortland (Articulation only)
Program Goals and Objectives
- Prepare students for transfer into a teacher preparation program at a four-year institution.
- Facilitate the completion of 10 of 10 General Education Requirements.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion, students will:
- Demonstrate the skills and knowledge gained by successful completion of physical education activity coursework.
- Complete the SAVE workshop.
- Complete the Child Abuse Recognition and Reporting seminar and recognize and report signs of abuse.
- Incorporate the New York State Teaching Standards into daily lesson plans.
- Complete a satisfactory teaching portfolio.
- Complete 30 hours of physical education field placement hours required by the State Education Department.